ECW UPDATES: ECW DIOCESE OF MASS DISSOLUTION
In May, 2016, confirmation was received from counsel that dissolution of ECW Diocese of Massachusetts was legally completed.
- Our trust fund investments were awarded to Episcopal City Mission for a grant that will focus on women and
- The Society of St Margaret was also awarded for their good work here in Massachusetts and in Haiti.
Looking back over the years ECW has made great strides in our Outreach for Women which included retreats, seminars, and speakers ,with topics of interest, presented at our meetings; these outreach programs were presented without charge.
- We sponsored two teenage girls and their chaperone to the General convention in Salt Lake City. This was an opportunity for these young people to see their church at work.
- “Around the Diocese ” another program that awarded substantial gifts each year to St. John the Evangelist
- Green endeavors
- Church Periodical Club
- Washington Cathedral
- Life Together
- Society of St Margaret
- United Thank Offering…and many many others.
- Members of ECW supported UTO serving on the UTO Screening Committee and being available to those with UTO questions.
- Members of ECW also served in various positions on the Province 1 ECW Board.
- ECW in Diocese of Mass. collaborated with ECW Diocese of Western Mass in supporting a very young girl living in an overseas orphanage. This financial support was ongoing for many years.
I could go on and on but it is sufficient to say that there was an immense satisfaction in our involvement in various ministries.
UTO will still be a ministry that will engage some of us that served on the ECW board. We plan to represent women in this diocese by our voice and vote at Province 1 meetings. I will be in touch with Sherri and Delores later in the year.
There is a winding down period that will involve members of ECW. This will require another meeting probably in November and will address distribution of small ECW funds.
I have probably not reached everyone that I should , but I am sure that the word will get out and you can send this e-mail to anyone who has an interest.
Blessings to All,
From the Triennial Meeting:
Massachusetts Delegates Betty Murry (L) Susan Butler (R)
Massachusetts Delegates Betty Murry (R) Susan Butler (L)
The Rev. Lisa Fortuna and The Rev. Ema Rosero-Nordalm are seen here at the General Convention/Triennial Meeting with the Rt. Rev. Griselda Delgado the Bishop of Cuba. Griselda Delgado is the first woman Diocesan Bishop in Latin America. Also in this photo is the Rev. Daniel Velez-Rivera from the Diocese of Virginia and National Hispanic Ministries of the Episcopal Church.
The Rt. Rev. Griselda Delgado of Cuba and the Rt. Rev. Barbara C. Harris of MA with the Rev. Ema Rosero Nordalm of MA.
New from Betty Murray, ECW President:
YES: MANY PATHS ONE JOURNEY is coming soon. As many of you know, Triennial is the Episcopal Church Women’s celebration which takes place at General Convention. There will be four delegates from the Diocese of Massachusetts: Susan Butler, Lisa Fortuna, Ema Rosero-Nordaln and Betty Murray.
Lisa Fortuna and Ema Rosero-Nordaln were ordained to the diaconate this June and are now the Rev Lisa Fortuna and The Rev. Ema Rosero-Nordaln . CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Jane Cutting , ECW Recording Secretary will be recognized as the Distinguished Woman from this Diocese at the 47th Episcopal Church Women, Triennial Meeting in Indianapolis, Indiana. CONGRATULATIONS !!!
I have added a new name to our ECW Updates : Laura Manion. She is a member of a new ECW group at St John’s in Arlington, Ma. Welcome aboard, Laura. Laura was a reader at the Good Friday service at Massachusetts General Hospital this year.
The Good Friday service at Massachusetts General Hospital is a program that ECW has sponsored for over seven years. If any of you have an interest in being a reader, let me know.
We have had speakers from this diocese at our ECW meetings this year. Julia Slayton came from the Bethany House of Prayer to tell us about available retreats and the good news of prayer and Jep Streit , Dean of the cathedral presented artist’s sketches and architectural drawings of the major renovation to the Cathedral Church of St Paul in Boston.
I am always interested in new ideas and what your comments might be.
EPISCOPAL CHURCH WOMEN
DIOCESE OF MASSACHUSETTS
138 TREMONT STREET
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02111